I am writing today after weeks of deciding, how to portray this piece as clearly as possible.
The first thing when you wake up and get hold of the newspaper or watch the news, gruesome rapes are being committed every single day. Its very disturbing to read day in and day out about the rapists who are targeting not just grown women, but infants, older aged women and teenagers.
From time memorial, and even as far as I can remember, In India theres too much importance attached to sexuality and very little to sex education. Most young men and women grow up with very little healthy interaction between the opposite gender.More importance is paid to “how girls should not dress or not how boys should be looking at girls with respect.” The role of Patriachal upbringing with little respect to feminine awareness and respect within the home for the woman has been the root cause.
Think about men who grow up in environments where women are not clearly given the respect they deserve within the home will automatically presume for all womenfolk. And add this to the how women are portrayed in advts and ” Item Song” numbers which gives them the assumption” that all women MUST be like this.
What really gets my goat is the apathy of law enforcing authorities , long delays in justice and most of the culprits get away with such heinous crimes committed to women. This adds to the misery as theres no deterrant in such crimes happening over and over again.
What will stop these rapes and crimes?
- Cultivate an environment within the home where teenagers learn to respect both men and women. For this the patriarchal mindset has to be changed. A son will not listen to his father but will ape what he does.
- Stop Portraying women as objects of desire in Bollywood. Ads with sunny Leone should be banned.
- Prostitution should be legalised. It is happening anyway, why not legalise it?
- Justice to culprits should be done more speedily so that we don’t have killers roaming free. Laws are there and must be used to prevent more crimes.
- Sex Education should be mandatory in schools
I would say, its in our hands to do what needs to be addressed at home. parenting has a lot to do with upbringing.